Wednesday, May 6, 2009

E-lderly

My 54 year old father just got e-mail last week. The upside is that I can "talk" to him once a week, fulfilling my obligations as a child, without actually talking to him. The downside is he's latched onto forwards like nobody's business. I usually just delete them but he's gotten good about making them look like they're not forwards anymore. I'm not sure how, but they look, at first glance, like a personal message. When you look closer, there's no address in the to: field. Anyway, today he sent me an email with no salutation or closing, just quotes about housework. I find it generally off putting to get housecleaning forwards from a man whose idea of cleanliness is waiting until things get so bad they need to be thrown away. Anyway, here they are. I think they're a good representation of the deepness of our relationship.

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.
- Franklin P. Jones
The classes that wash most are those that work least.
- Gilbert Keith Chesterton, 1874 - 1936
We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry.
- Elwyn Brooks White, 1899 - 1985




No comments:

Post a Comment