Monday, May 18, 2009

Injurycation (pt. 3) - The Bad Hospital

The doctor at Hennepin County Medical Center, a one Dr. Sanjay Goodarzi, was delightfully hands off. Bad for my knee, great for a visit from the person you're having an affair with. When Tyler found me, his face went through hundreds of different emotions. Recognition, relief, worry, empathy, and fear. We quickly worked out that if any of the staff got specific with him, he would just say he was my husband. Then, if the doctor or any of the nurses asked his name, he would say he was "Brian". The idea was uncomfortable for the both of us, but what choice did we have (besides him leaving - which is not an option). But we really had nothing to worry about because the doctor never came back. After four hours of waiting and half assed pain management, Tyler called his friend, Dr. Brent McDougal (with a name like that, how could you not be a doctor?) who works at Abbott Northwestern Hospital and arranged for me to be transported to that hospital. I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT WAS POSSIBLE!! When the private transport came for me, in under an hour (!) the hospital staff at Hennepin acted personally offended that I was leaving. But there was something in their fake nice tones that indicated they had probably been through this before.




No comments:

Post a Comment