Thursday, February 5, 2009

Old Friends

I spoke to my college roommate tonight for the first time in almost 10 years. She found me on Facebook (I now have 8 friends!) and insisted that we catch up. She's a book editor for Penguin Group and lives in the Big Apple! She said that her and her husband have been together for 7 years (he is a graphic designer for Olgivy & Mather) and they're not sure if they want to have kids. Midway through her entertaining stories about campaigning for Obama in Texas, I realized I hated her. Not because of what she did, or that she lived in a big, fun city. And not really because she didn't have kids (although I am jealous). I felt a deep, throbbing loathing for her because due to her liberal, urban existence, she could afford the thing I most wanted in life. Choices.




No comments:

Post a Comment