Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Whaddya Know?

I was googling "why am I mad?" and I found this story on NYT's website about how young mom's are, on average, angry at their husbands for things like not remembering dates, knowing 100% how to care for a child and other typical ways men get off easy. A lot of the comments to the story mention the moms and pose variations of the question "Why they would stay in situations that make them miserable?".I can think of a couple reasons right off the bat.

#1 I have resigned myself to this lifestyle.
I mean, if everyone thinks they'll be more miserable then the current state of affairs, that's enough for me to stick with it. Who knows what's on the other side of divorce or running away from your family? It could be wonderful, but it also could suck. I'll play it safe.

#2 Dating at 30 is hard
I much prefer fantasising about the Raiffe, the half Persion, half Irish 17 year old who lives next door. He's accessable and I didn't have to spend $80 on vodka tonics to get up the courage to talk to him. I just say whatever I want to that kid and he eats it up, and my husband is never the wiser.

#3 I don't have to try
From the moment I wake up to the moment I pretend that I am asleep to avoid Brian's sexual advances, I am on auto-pilot. The days seem to fly by when you're not contemplating why you're not able to spend three hours by yourself. Ever.




No comments:

Post a Comment